Monday, August 8, 2011

Prague


I'm sitting here enjoying breakfast in Prague in the nicest hostel I've every stayed in. It's a far cry from my hostel experience in Paris and I'm loving it.

The train ride here was just over 4 hours and was an experience in itself. I was in a six person compartment with two other women one of whom probably didn't stop talking for more then 20 minutes in that 4 hour span in a mix of Czech, German, English and Arabic. She was covered in tattoos and was very pregnant. The other woman was from Bulgaria and spoke to me the entire trip in German convinced I understood every word she said even though I told her I only spoke English. The pregnant woman ate every half hour and was willing to share her huge bag of gummy bears with me. She was also kind enough to help the "poor" American guy find his hostel which was very nice.

As far as Prague goes, every single person I have talked to has raved about their experience in Prague, so maybe the expectations were a little high. I've enjoyed it so far, but outside of the first two hours I have been here it has rained and rained and rained some more. This had made it hard to want to be out around the city. I did join up with a free walking tour yesterday through the Old Town, Jewish Quarter, and finally the New Town. Today I'm hoping to get to see the famed Prague castle without getting rained on.

On another note this is one of the places in the world where beer is literally cheaper than water and just about every other drink. The claim is the Czech Republic consumes more beer than other country in the world per capita. On the menu where I had dinner last night a 0.2 liter coke cost roughly $4.15 while a 0.5 liter of beer was $2.10. With the nearly 10 different Czech beers on tap at every different place I have tried quite a few new beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment