Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Albertina



The statues of Franz Josef and Prince Eugene outside the Hofburg Palace.

A nice walk through Vienna took my parents and I from Schottentor University past the Rathuas, past the Austrian Parliment, through the Volksgarten, outside the Hofburg Palace, into the Spanish horse training school and finally to the Albertina museum. The Albertina is a former palace of Prince Albert that has been turned into a museum with one of the most diverse collections of art I have ever been to. The following is a list of artists that were housed here:

Michaelangelo
Rafael
Rembrandt
Albert Durer
Monet
Picasso
Henri Matisse
Edvard Munch
Paul Klee
Paul Signac
Robert Delauney
Wassily Kandinsky
Alberto Giacometti

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that's what I could remember off the top of my head. As you can see those artist ranged from Renaissance to different types of Modernism (impressionist, cubist, a bit of surrealism). Additionally, they had a nice old Austrian photography exhibit, a huge collection of the famous Austrian artist, Max Weiler, and a large collection of contemporary artists some of which is hard for me to see as art. My favorite from here was a current Southern California based artist, Kenton Nelson, for his oil paintings of old Americana.



One of Kenton Nelson's painting is a current poster for the Albertina.

No comments:

Post a Comment